And now you are nine
So after weeks of writing this blog post and collating all the images from the past year of your eight year old self, I am sitting here the night before you turn nine. And already I feel like I am missing your eight year old self so much and that these memories I have written about will become unstuck as your child-self morphs and you become another year older. Which parts will carry on through the years? Will you always pretend to wipe away my kisses even though I know you really love them? Will you wish me a good nights sleep as I walk out your room or will these words slip away into the dark night? So many parts of you being eight will leave you long before I am ready for it. But this treasure trove of photos and anecdotes will hopefully fill the holes in my heart when I miss eight year old Jake.
The last couple of weeks you have been counting down to this very day. Each night as I kiss you to sleep you tell me with utmost excitement how many more sleeps till your birthday. I have needed to hear and feel your excitement so much. For it was the truest reminder how even during this time where the world is more upside down than ever before and life is filled with way too much uncertainty, there are many things to celebrate. And being eight years old, on the brink of turning nine is a true celebration. One that is filled with that thrilling eager anticipation of a childhood birthday that no pandemic in the world could ever dampen, and the perfect antidote for a harsh and sad crazy world.
You have reminded me what it is to live with hope and all the wishes for a new tomorrow. So thank-you my angel. Thank-you for all these wonderful memories you have given me during the past 365 days of your life. And thank-you for reminding me exactly how to life life, with eagerness, astonishment, desire for good things and palpable excitement for a brand new birthday. I love you more than you will ever know.
And here is your annual birthday interview…as always with verbatim unedited responses.
Jake Birthday Interview – 9 years old and 144cm
- How old are you ? nine
- Who is your best friend? Angus
- What is your favourite subject at school? Physical Education
- What is your favourite colour? Green
- What is your favourite food? Cheese burgers
- What’s your worst food?Brocolli burgers
- What is your favourite iPad game? Roblox
- What do you like to do with Evie? Roblox
- What do you like to do with mummy? Make dinner
- And daddy? Play foosball
- What is your favourite birthday gift? My oodie
- What do you want to be when you are bigger? Basketball referee
- What makes you happy?When I get to see my friends
- What makes you sad? When Evie is mean to me
- If you could have three wishes in the world what would they be?
- To have more wishes
- To have all the money in the world
- Have my ipad for 24 hours in one day
- What is something you are really good at? Basketball and footy
- What is something you would like to improve? How will you do it? I would like to improve my footy kicking and I will practise
- What is your favourite book? The very bad book (I haven’t read it yet but I read the bad book – the first one)
- What is the best part of your birthday? Talking to Angus, iPad and meals
- If you could change one thing in the world what would it be? To have air in space so I could visit space without an air helmet
- What is something good about home school? I get iPad at lunch and recess and right after school
- What is something you are missing with coronoa virus restrictions? Having more playdates with Angus and other friends
- What are you grateful for today? It’s my birthday
- Who is someone you admire? Michael Jordan
- What do you think is the most important job in the world? Doctors
- What is something important that your parents have taught you? Not to risk no eating for one week
- What is something important that a grandparent has taught you (which one)? Be nice to strangers (nanny)
- Do you have a favourite memory? Going to water parks like GESAC
- What is your greatest strength? Basketball
- What is your most treasured possession? Footy cards
- If you could turn back time, what would you change in your life? Do the right choices because I would know already what would happen
- What is your greatest achievement? Playing sports
- If you were an animal, what would it be? A doggy so I can get pats and treats and I wont know the difference between normal food and dog food
- If I gave you $20 now what would you buy? Robux
- What is one goal that you would like to achieve when you are 9 years old? How will you do it? To make more friends and be nice. I will be nice.